Photo Gallery 2 Images
Nevada County, Calif.—According to the Nevada County Sheriff’s Office on February 6th the coroner’s division was requested at a home in Nevada City.
Pamela Diane DeGrio age 67 of Nevada City was found to have been shot multiple times.
After several months of investigating and following leads detectives from the Nevada County Sheriff’s Office identified a suspect in the case.
On Tuesday May 1st around 9 a.m. detectives arrested Michael Kent Sturgell 71 year old of Oroville for the murder of Pamela Diane DeGrio.
Mr. Sturgell and Ms. DeGrio were previously married, but divorced over 40 years ago.
They have one child in common.
Sturgell has been in custody at the Nevada County Jail since April pending sentencing for an unrelated burglary of firearms, a crime that was committed around the same time as DeGrio was killed.
A gun that was stolen from DeGrio’s home at the time of her murder was recently found in Butte County along with several other guns taken in the burglary for which Sturgell is awaiting sentencing.
The guns were determined to have been sold illegally by Sturgell shortly after DeGrio’s death.
At this time 3 guns that have been stolen by Sturgell are still outstanding.
They include one rifle and two shotguns.
Anyone with information on the whereabouts of these firearms is encouraged to call Detective Brandon Corchero in Nevada County Sheriff’s Office Major Crimes Unit at 265-1263.
This investigation is ongoing so no further information will be released to protect the integrity of the case.
- Oroville Man Arrested for Ex-Wife's Murder
- CHP: Oroville parolee and wife arrested for stealing vehicles
- Oroville shooting suspects arrested
- Oroville missing person arrested
- Oroville police capture murder suspect
- Oroville Police arrest man after foot pursuit
- Man Arrested in Oroville Attempted Bank Robbery
- Woman arrested on murder charges after fatal shooting in Oroville
- Shasta County Sheriff's Office: Man Suspected of Murdering Wife
- Suspect Arrested in Oroville Shooting