BUTTE COUNTY, Calif. - Blasting work on the Oroville Dam Spillway is expected to cause traffic delays on Oro Dam Boulevard Friday.
The blasting will be used to break up rock above the spillway and is used to improve hillside safety. According to the Department of Water Resources, the blasting occurring on Friday will be similar to blasting done in the past several weeks, so they don't expect any loud noise levels.
The work will begin on Friday, Dec. 21, and will cause a closure of a portion of Oro Dam Boulevard from 3:45-4:05 p.m.
Traffic heading east on Oroville Dam Boulevard East will be stopped at Glen Drive and traffic heading west will be stopped at Oroville Powerhouse Road at the Hyatt entrance toward the bottom of the hill.
Drivers may also experience delays at the Canyon Drive, Royal Oaks Drive and Oro Dam Boulevard East intersection.
Friday afternoon and drivers in that area will be at a complete standstill during the 20 minute time frame.
To avoid the delay, drivers can take the following routes:
Canyon to Olive Highway
Glen Drive to Oro-Quincy Highway to Olive Highway
- Oroville Dam Spillway Blasting to Cause Traffic Delays
- Oroville Dam spillway siren sounds
- Jan. 15 Blasting Work Planned at Oroville Dam Spillway
- Oroville Dam Spillway Crisis: One Year Later
- Oroville Dam Spillway Project Meets November Deadline
- Inspections begin on Oroville Dam Spillway
- Update on Oroville Dam Spillway Work
- Update on Oroville Dam Spillway Construction
- Water seeps down Oroville Dam spillway