Christmas came early for some Oroville kids on Wednesday as highway patrol officers went door to door handing out presents to families.
This year, Oroville CHP partnered with the African American Family & Cultural Center.
Since around mid-November, the CHP has been collecting toys to give to kids around the holidays, and they got so much support and had so many donations that they were able to drop off presents to more than 100 kids.
“Warm and fuzzy. It's just a warm and fuzzy feeling, it made me feel like when I was a kid around Christmas time, just warm and fuzzy,” said African American Family & Cultural Center Senior Executive Director Bobby Jones.
The Santas checked their list… twice… and delivered the gifts to those kids who were nice.
For about a month, the CHP has been collecting toys, and they ended up getting more than 200 donations.
Officer Ryan Lambert was the one of the main drivers behind the campaign and drove door to door dropping off the gifts.
“There are officers that have worked here for an excess of 20 years, and they said they've never received such support that we've received this year,” he said.
This is also the first time they've ever wrapped the presents, and the first time they delivered them to the families.
“The last 2 days Santa’s workshop has been extremely busy,” Lambert said.
But, he says it's days like this that remind him why he signed for the job.
“We have to see a lot of bad stuff with the traffic accidents, and to be able to see the smiles on the kids’ faces kind of helps ease that pain a little bit.”
“I kind of feel like Santa Claus, to see some of these kids’ faces of just joy,” Jones said.
Lambert said they also dropped off about 5 bags of toys to the local foster care agency as well.
- Oroville CHP delivers toys to kids
- CHP Hosts Chips For Kids Toy Drive
- CHP Kicks off Annual Chips for Kids Toy Drives
- CHP Holds Annual Holiday Toy Drive
- CHP Oroville Distributes Free Tri Tip Dinners
- Oroville CHP Arrests Mother for DUI
- CHiP's for Kids Toy Drive
- CHP: Oroville parolee and wife arrested for stealing vehicles
- CHP: 1 dead, after suspected DUI car crash in Oroville
- CHP Oroville investigating fatal hit-and-run, 1 man dead