"This is a needed facility, otherwise there's be dogs roaming the highway, dogs dumped out in the country fending for themselves." said Glenn County resident Ruthann Mandella.
A foster mom for homeless pups, Ruthann Mandella says the Orland Town & Country Humane Society is invaluable.
"This way there's a place where people can surrender a dog like buddy, adopt a dog like buddy," said Mandella. "The dog walkers volunteer, food is by donation - it's a needy situation, we need the community support."
It's the only no-kill shelter in Glenn County, and it's been around since 1992, on a lot designated for shelter use.
But the owner is charged with a noise complaint from neighbor Mike Flowerdew, who says the barking is getting worse and worse.
It's a 5-acre parcel and there seems to be a good distance between the neighbors and the kennels, but apparently, not quite enough.
The Flowerdew's say their home is 300 feet from the property line and the shelter's been adding outdoor kennels.
"He said that we hadn't gotten rid of any of our dogs - but these dogs have no other place, we've found them starving on the side of the road, we have one that was a bait-dog, it took us months for him to trust us," said shelter owner Judy Rapp.
The couple says they've been in their home 27 years and the barking has only become a problem in the last 2.
After taking this to county supervisors and numerous calls to animal control, they're relieved that county's now issued a noise citation.
"I went through a lot of things we've changed in the past couple of years but I don't understand the complaints," said Rapp.
The Flowerdew's say they'd hate to see anything to happen to the shelter, but it's stressful to hear barking they claim goes on day and night.
"There is going to be barking at certain times of the day because the dogs are going to to be barking because they're going to be excited that they're going to be going outside," said Rapp.
The proposed compromise? Some sort of wall to enclose the back area.
"If we had a fence that the dogs couldn't see him it this might appease part of the problem. But, we live on a shoe-string budget so we have to raise the money for a fence," said Rapp.
- Orland shelter faces noise complaint from neighbor
- Felon Arrested with Handgun After Noise Complaint at Party
- Man Threatens Roommates with Gun over Complaint of Noise: Chico PD
- 6 months after the Camp Fire: Orland Shelters Survivors
- Orland Medication Disposal
- UPDATE: 84-year-old woman out of jail after being arrested for firing a gun over complaint of noise in Anderson
- Orland CVS Robbery Suspects Identified
- Orland High School Car Fundraiser
- Orland police chief announces retirement
- LAX maintenance means 3 nights of re-routed landings, noise