The California Highway Patrol says speed played a role in a crash that killed an Orland man south of Corning.
It happened just after 7 p.m. Thursday night on Highway 99W, just south of Olivewood Avenue.
Officers say 39 year old Chris Wandt was heading north in his Lincoln SUV at a high rate of speed when he lost control, hit a guardrail and rolled over several times before coming to rest upside down in a field.
Wandt was pronounced dead at the scene.
A 8 year old boy was taken to the St. Elizabeth Hospital in Red Bluff with moderate injuries.
Investigators say drugs and alcohol do not appear to be factors in the crash, however toxicology reports are pending.
- Orland Man Killed in Crash Near Corning
- Orland Medication Disposal
- Corning man killed in head-on crash on Highway 99 identified
- Corning Police Investigating Homicide
- Orland CVS Robbery Suspects Identified
- Recycling Plant Fire in Corning
- 2 Horses Die in Interstate 5 Crash in Corning
- Orland Man to Run Across the Country for Cancer Awareness
- Orland Man Helps Carr Fire Victims Evacuate Livestock
- Orland Man Charged with Attempted Murder after Alleged Home Invasion