CHICO, Calif. - Due to a late run of the protected Spring-run Chinook Salmon, the official opening of Sycamore Pool is delayed.
The pool, which is located in the Bidwell Park One Mile Recreation Area, will officially open on June 8.
Typically, the swim season starts on Memorial Day Weekend.
City officials and the California Department of Fish & Wildlife have agreed to delay the opening to assist the fish in their migration to the upper Big Chico Creek to spawn.
The pool will be available to swim during the holiday weekend and in the coming weeks, but there will be no lifeguards on duty until June 8.
When opened, the pool will have lifeguards on duty from 12 - 7 p.m. every day except Thursdays. Those hours will remain until the Chico Unified School District's fall semester begins in August.
- Opening of Sycamore Pool delayed due to Spring-run Chinook Salmon
- Chinook Salmon Spring-Run wraps up at One Mile Recreation Area
- Sycamore Pool officially reopens for the summer
- Chico Police investigating car found in Sycamore Pool
- Salmon Spawning Underway in Oroville
- Bidwell Park's Sycamore Pool is the place for annual Polar Plunge
- Polar Bear Plunge in Chico Sycamore Pool Set for New Year's Day 2019
- Estom Yumeka Tribe Holds Salmon Giveaway
- Salmon fishing season begins in Butte County
- UPDATE: Expect Chico traffic delays due to train trestle repairs