SHASTA COUNTY, Calif - A photo circulating online has sparked fear among some people living near the Shasta Dam.
Some people believe the image shows a possible hole in the dam.
After the spillway crisis in Oroville, members of Shasta’s community began fearing a similar situation in Shasta County.
Officials at the Shasta Dam said this isn’t a hole and there’s nothing to fear.
What viewers are seeing in the photo is a spall, meaning a cosmetic chip in the runway. Officials said they’re working to fix the spall, and everything is flowing well.
"It does not pose any public safety concerns at this point," said Don Bader with the Bureau of Reclamation. "We've had these concrete spalls for a couple of years at this point and we're keeping our eyes on them making sure that they're not expanding, which they're not."
- Online photo sparks fear about Shasta Dam
- Residents Watch Long Lost Shasta Dam Documentary
- Shasta Dam to Raise Over 18 Feet
- Tiny Salamanders Could Complicate Shasta Dam Project
- Increased Keswick Dam water releases spark flooding concerns
- Shasta County Now Offering Burn Permits Online
- Contractors Fired After Camp Fire Photos Spark Outrage
- Shasta Bike Challenge Sparks Concerns Over Bike Paths
- Lightning Sparks Concern for Shasta-Trinity National Forest
- Shasta Dam Visitor Center Reopen After Carr Fire