UPDATE 2:17 p.m. Monday, April 1, 2019 - The family of the man that died in a house fire on Saturday has identified him as Mike Turner, 64, of Chico.
The fire was reported just after 8 p.m. on Saturday at a home on Hazel Street.
Chico fire crews tried to save him, but authorities said it was too late.
We are working to learn more about the cause of the fire. Stay tuned for updates.
UPDATE 5:20 p.m. Sunday, Mar. 31, 2019 - According to the Chico Fire Department the fire started Saturday just after 8 p.m.
The first engine arrived and firefighters saw heavy fire on both sides of the home.
Firefighters learned there was someone trapped inside so they went into rescue mode.
It was too late to save the person trapped in the home. He was found dead inside.
Division Chief Jesse Alexander said there was no criminal activity at the house that they were aware of. They had no reports of drug-related activity at the home, he stressed, saying the fire appeared to be accidental in nature.
Chief Alexander said a woman tried to get into the home while the fire was still burning and she suffered from minor burns.
Firefighters found an exploded oxygen bottle in the home, which may have been the reason neighbors reported what sounded like explosions when the fire broke out.
CHICO, Calif. - One person died in a home on the 900 block of Hazel St. in Chico due to a structure fire on Saturday night.
The fire started close to 8 p.m.
Neighbors told Action New Now that they heard loud noises coming from the house, saying they sounded like explosions.
This is a developing story. Check back for more details. We will have the latest from anchor Hayley Watts on our 11:00 p.m. newscast, which streams live on this website.
- Family identifies man killed in Chico house fire
- Officials Identify Man Killed in Palermo House Fire
- Man killed in fire in Redding identified
- 82-year-old identified as person killed in Redding house fire
- Oroville family escapes house fire
- Redding Firefighter Killed in Carr Fire Identified
- Chico Fire responds to house fire
- Family's dog killed in early morning house fire
- Authorities identify man killed in Oroville shooting
- Highway 273 pedestrian killed identified