SUTTER COUNTY, Calif. - One person was killed while trying to pass a commercial vehicle in Sutter County, crashing head-on with another vehicle.
CHP officials say this happened Friday, Feb. 21 around 6:45 p.m. on Highway 113 near Knights Road.
Officials say a 67-year-old man of Yuba County driving a Toyota Camry was driving northbound on Highway 113 just south of Knights Road at 60 miles per hour, following a commercial vehicle.
A Nissan Sentra driven by an 18-year-old woman was heading southbound on Highway 99, at 55 miles per hour in a sweeping left curve.
According to officials, while driving northbound, the man in the Toyota drove to the left into the southbound lane in order to pass the commercial vehicle in front of him. While he was passing, he failed to see the Nissan in the road ahead of him.
As the driver of the Nissan was traversing the left curve in the roadway, she was unable to see the other vehicle passing. Once both vehicles noticed each other, both drivers turned towards the west shoulder where they collided head-on.
The CHP said the 67-year-old driver of the Toyota Camry was killed in the accident. Alcohol and drugs are not considered to be factors to this collision.
- 1 person in Sutter County killed in head-on collision
- Sutter County Election Results
- 1 person dead after a head-on collision near Redding
- Yuba-Sutter CHP: Two dead in fatal collision in rural Yuba County
- Sutter County serial killer dies at 85
- Sheriff: 1 man shot in Sutter County
- Sutter County confirms first coronavirus death
- Pedestrian killed in Yuba County collision
- Head-on collision leaves 2 dead
- Sutter Co. Detectives investigating homicide, victim identified