UPDATE 12:16 p.m. Monday, Jan. 28, 2019 - The Tehama County Sheriff's Office has identified the suspect killed in an officer-involved shooting as Carl Thayer, 45, of Red Bluff.
The sheriff's office also issued a correction stating that the suspect's car did not hit the concrete barriers of the Jellys Ferry Bridge, as recently reported. The vehicle struck a fence in the area. The bridge was not hit.
UPDATE 11:10 a.m. Monday, Jan. 28, 2019 - According to the Tehama County Sheriff's Office, deputies responded to the area of Jellys Ferry Road near the Jellys Ferry Bridge due to reports of domestic violence.
A 40-year-old female victim reported to deputies that the incident occurred while she and her ex-husband were driving on Jellys Ferry Road. She said that the suspect threatened to intentionally crash the vehicle, killing both the victim and himself. He then drove his vehicle into the concrete barriers on the Jellys Ferry Bridge.
The victim was able to escape the vehicle and ran to nearby resident's home where she called the sheriff's office. The suspect fled the vehicle and was believed to be in the area and at large.
Deputies searched the area and found the suspect, who had armed himself with a knife. Three deputies attempted to detain the suspect. He refused several orders from deputies to drop the knife, so a taser was deployed on the suspect. He was able to deflect the taser probes using his jacket as a shield and then charged toward the deputy with the knife still in his hand.
Another deputy fired three rounds from his firearm at the suspect. The suspect was pronounced deceased at the scene.
The Tehama County Sheriff's Office has not identified the suspect that died in the shooting. The investigation is ongoing.
Stay with Action News Now for the latest updates as they become available.
TEHAMA COUNTY, Calif. - One person is dead following an officer-involved shooting in an unincorporated area of Tehama County on Monday morning.
The incident happened at around 5:30 a.m. on Monday in the area of Jellys Ferry Road.
The investigation is still in the initial stages, but the Tehama County Sheriff's Office was able to confirm that one man is dead following the shooting. No officers were injured during the incident.
The sheriff's office has initiated the Tehama County Officer Involved Shooting Protocol with the Tehama County District Attorney's Office and the California Department of Justice to assist in the investigation.
This is a developing story. Stay with Action News Now for the latest updates as they become available.
- Tehama County Sheriff's Office Identifies Suspect Killed in Officer-Involved Shooting
- Yuba County Sheriff's Office Identifies Suspect Killed in Officer-Involved Shooting
- Shasta County Sheriff's Office Identifies Suspect in Officer-Involved Shooting off I-5
- Shasta County Sheriff's Office identifies man killed in officer-involved shooting
- Man Identified in Deadly Officer Involved Shooting
- Victim Identified in Redding Officer-Involved Shooting
- Tehama County Sheriff's Office identifies suspects in Corning home invasion robbery
- Authorities identify man killed in Redding officer-involved shooting
- Tehama Sheriff’s Office: Multiple deaths at school shooting in Tehama County
- UPDATE: Suspect killed in officer-involved shooting with Redding Police