Updated 1:05 p.m. Sunday, Jan. 27, 2019 - The CAL FIRE Butte Unit responded to the incident, saying they carried out a technical rescue at the intersection of Ponderosa Dam and Ponderosa Way.
Officials said a person walked in to Station 54 to report the vehicle over the edge of the roadway. It was a black Ford passenger vehicle.
After the first engines arrived at the scene it was determined that there were two people inside. One was dead and the other had moderate injuries.
Five fire trucks, two helicopters, and a volunteer company responded. 21 people were at the scene to perform the rescue and provide medical care.
A rope rescue system was set up to retrieve the injuried person who was then transfered to a medical unit that was standing by.
Responders included Butte County Search and Rescue with a helicopter, Butte Medics, Enloe Flight Care, the California Highway Patrol, State Parks and CAL FIRE.
NEAR LAKE OROVILLE, Calif. - The Butte County Sheriff/Coroner's Office is responding to a fatal traffic incident that occurred near Lake Oroville and Forbestown Sunday at approximately 9:15 a.m.
A vehicle is off the side of the road approximately 200 feet down an embankment. The vehicle was described in initial reports as a black Ford.
There has been one fatality and one injury reported so far, and air rescue and extrication efforts are continuing.
Please avoid the area if you are need to travel in Butte County near Ponderosa Way and the #2 dam.
- 1 Dead, 1 Injured After Vehicle Found 200' Down Embankment Near Lake Oroville and Forbestown
- Forbestown fire east of Oroville
- Roseville Man Found Dead at Lake Oroville
- At Risk Missing Pregnant Woman Found in Forbestown
- Fire destroys a garage in Forbestown
- Sunset Fire on Forbestown Road quickly contained
- Lake Oroville Spillway Update
- 30 dead, 200 missing after boat sinking on Congo lake
- Drivers crash down embankment in Redding
- Lake Oroville houseboats stuck ashore