Photo Gallery 6 Images
CHICO, Calif. – Another dumping problem was addressed on Thursday, this one along Little Chico Creek.
It consisted of over two hours of cleaning and 12 Alternative Custody Supervision participants on a work program from the Butte County Sheriff’s Office. There were 30 yards of trash from several areas around Little Chico Creek, from Bruce Road all the way down to Forest Ave.
The Butte County Sheriff's Office said while cleaning up the area, over 1,000 needles were found. 800 of them were in sealed packages and 200 were used.
Action News Now spoke with one of those workers, Melody Moritz who said it makes her feel good knowing she is making the area clean again.
“I know it needs to be done and I take pride in where I live to make sure that it looks good because I like to look outside and see beauty, not trash,” Moritz said.
Just a few days ago Action News Now was at Little Chico Creek and the area was covered in unused food, clothes, sleeping bags, and more.
“Well it’s frustrating but I like to help my town and my community because it’s nice to have it cleaned up for everybody,” Alternative Custody Supervision worker Jennifer Dean said. Well, we get time off our sentence for working but the reward is really cleaning up my town.”
Action News Now checked back in with neighbor Robert Schooley who said he’s happy for their hard work.
"I’m feeling very thankful that they would take the time to come out here and do that let alone do that so quickly after finding out it was in such bad shape," Schooley said.
Dean said that Alternative Custody workers clean homeless camps on Thursdays. She said that the working crew cleans four times a week around Chico.
If you would like to be a part of the solution, the City of Chico has organized volunteer cleanup projects all throughout the week and all throughout the city. To learn more, CLICK HERE.
- Among the trash: 1,000 needles found in Little Chico Creek clean up
- Chico community watch volunteers clean trash
- Program could bring clean needles to the streets of Chico
- Needle Distribution Controversy in Chico
- Citizens for a Safe Chico disturbed by trash in creek
- Locals are furious over trash piles along Little Chico Creek
- Volunteers clean up trash on Cohasset Road
- State Parks cleans up Big Chico Creek along Bidwell Mansion
- Trash dumping concerns in Chico
- Needle distribution program underway