ANKARA, Turkey (AP) - Officials say soldiers conducting military operations in Turkey's southeast have been hit by an avalanche.
At least five soldiers died and 12 others were injured.
The avalanche occurred Sunday near the town of Hizan in southeastern Turkey's mountainous Bitlis province, according to the governor's office for the region.
Officials said the soldiers were conducting operations against Kurdish rebel group the Kurdistan Workers' Party, or PKK.
The injured soldiers were evacuated to hospitals by helicopter but were not in serious condition, the Bitlis governor's office said.
- Officials: Avalanche kills 5 soldiers, injures 12 in Turkey
- Sheriff: 1 dead, 1 seriously injured in Lake Tahoe avalanche
- California Soldier Killed in Iraq
- D4 avalanche hits Mount Shasta
- Official: 4 killed, 24 injured in Poland building collapse
- Three National Guard soldiers killed in helicopter crash identified
- California ski resort open a day after avalanche
- AP's LATEST ON CA WEATHER: Sierra Snow and Avalanche Warning
- D3 avalanche recorded near Bunny Flat Trailhead on Mt. Shasta
- At least 22 dead, more than 1,200 injured in Turkey earthquake