UPDATE 11:20 a.m. Tuesday, August 28, 2018 - The Redding Police department has identified the man killed in an officer-involved shooting on August 27 as Eric Jay Hames, 34.
Hames was a known transient in the Redding area.
He had two prior prison commitments. His first prison term was for assault with a deadly weapon causing injury and the second was for possession of an explosive device, according to the release.
Hames was arrested seven times this year for various crimes, including:
- felon in possession of stun gun
- possession of narcotics
Police say that he resisted officers during four of the seven arrests.
REDDING, Calif. - One is dead after an officer-involved shooting in Redding that took place around 8:30 a.m.
According to Sergeant Todd Cogle of the Redding Police Department, police received calls from at least five individuals about a man causing a disturbance near the intersection of Cypress Avenue and Churn Creek Road, a very busy and populated area in Redding.
The man was allegedly acting erratically by yelling, spitting and throwing bottles at people. There were also reports of the man jumping on at least one car in the area.
When police arrived on the scene, they followed the man and approached him at the intersection of Cypress Avenue and Larkspur Lane, on the side of a Domino's Pizza.
Cogle said when police confronted the man, he refused to cooperate with the requests of officers. They also noted that he was carrying a knife.
Due to the circumstances of the confrontation, which are not clear at this point, police were prompted to shoot at the man.
The victim was pronounced dead at the scene. The man has not been identified at this point.
With resources being spread thin due to wildfire efforts, there are multiple agencies cooperating on this case.
Action News Now reporter Spencer Joseph is on the scene gathering information as it becomes available.
Stay tuned for more updates. This is a developing story.
- Victim Identified in Redding Officer-Involved Shooting
- Authorities identify man killed in Redding officer-involved shooting
- Man Identified in Deadly Officer Involved Shooting
- Suspect identified in Anderson officer-involved shooting
- Cherry Street shooting victim identified
- Christmas Day shooting victim identified
- UPDATE: Oroville shooting victim identified
- Officer Involved Shooting in Marysville
- Victim identified in Redding homicide investigation
- Sheriff's ID Man in Redding Officer Involved Shooting