BUTTE COUNTY, Calif. - Action News Now Laura Eng breaks down the weather impacts going on in the North State this week. Some of the main concerns included flooding, house fires, and the leaf collection program.
Rainy roads and leaf pickup impacts
The rain has slowed down for now, but the roads are still slick, and traffic is still moving slowly.
A look in the video player above shows just outside of the Action News Now station Monday morning on Eaton Road and Silverbell Road.
Chico Public Works Director Skyler Lipski said his office has had small cases of flooding, mostly due to storm drains, but no significant flooding.
Currently, his office is focusing on the leaf collection program, picking up as many leaves as they can. This all goes towards preventing flooding in the future.
Right now, public works said its main goal is to continue leaf collection and handle additional urgent calls for flooding.
Lipski said from November to January, his office typically picks up about 3,500 cubic yards of leaves.
Home heating danger
Firefighters put out the third house fire in Butte County, in just a matter of days.
Chico fire Chief Steve Standridge said while the causes for all three fires are still under investigation, the fire department sees several common causes for fires during the cold season.
Chief Standridge said some examples include heaters, people using ovens to heat their houses, decorations that are flammable, other common causes for fires the chief has seen included frayed holiday lights or unattended burning candles. Also, remember to keep your live Christmas tree away from any source of heat.
- North State weather impacts
- Snow Impacts North State Roads
- Caltrans discusses wet weather impact on North State roads
- Air Quality in Butte County Impacted By North State Fires
- 2 bills aim to impact recycling in the North State
- Gallery: Winter Weather Hits the North State
- Viewer photos of North State weather conditions
- North State Halloween Costumes
- North State losing desirability?
- North state snowfall preparations