PARADISE, Calif. - The Paradise Unified School District lost four school campuses after the Camp Fire. Now they are working on some facility changes this coming year.
Paradise High School is getting a new 7 million dollar gym. The building can hold over 1000 people.
It will complement the current, smaller gym on Paradise High’s campus. Starting next week, the school’s softball field is getting a facelift as well.
"Being able to bring those huge new technologies and understandings of the game into a new gym is exciting. It brings paradise into a new age instead of being left behind by the other high schools," said Anne Stearns, Athletic Director of Paradise High School.
"That’s going to bring a lot of motivation to the community. Once we get the softball team done it will be the nicest field in paradise," said Jake Timm, Director of Maintenance and Operations with the Paradise Unified School District.
The district is also working on a temporary transportation building. It will create one centralized location for all the school buses in the district. Right now some of the district buses still have to park in Chico. Building repairs also continue this year to fire-damaged areas at Ponderosa Elementary.
All these upgrades, with the exception of the gym, will be covered by insurance. The new gym is expected to be finished in November, if the weather cooperates.
On Monday, district leaders started work on a new facilities master plan to address additional student needs after the Camp Fire. They plan to run it by the school board and receive public input on it in a few weeks.
- New facility upgrades coming to Paradise Unified School District
- Paradise Unified School District faces budget cuts
- Paradise Unified School District prepares for classes
- Paradise Unified School District watches forecast to determine school closures
- School is back in session for Paradise Unified School District
- Biggs Unified School District receives $9 million
- Chico Unified School District among 3 CA districts suing 'Juul'
- Chico Unified School District’s New Online School
- Paradise Unified providing meals for students
- Our Future After the Fire: The future of the Paradise Unified School District