Chico, Calif. -- A new elementary school could be on the horizon for Chico.
The Chico Unified School District is investigating the possibility of buying new land for the school.
A local developer recently approached the district about purchasing the Doe Mill/Honey Run Special Planning Area. This is a property just east of Potter Road and south of East 20th Street.
"There is some conversation about moving Inspire School off of the Chico High campus. The last piece is related to a potential new piece of property for a new elementary school," said Kevin Bultema, Assistant Superintendent of the Chico Unified School District.
Developer, Bill Brouhard, recently approached the district about purchasing a portion of the Doe Mill/Honey Run Special Planning Area.
"Instead of just buying land for school, you look at how can we combine a community park next to a school to create a recreational and educational environment," said Brouhard.
The new property raises the question of the district's purchased Canyon View property, which has still gone undeveloped.
"We had a pretty dramatic drop in enrollment and the decision was to buy this property, Canyon View," said Bultema.
Taxpayers passed "Measure A" back in the early 90s to build a new comprehensive high school.
"The decision was made not to build a new high school, but ultimately those dollars were spent at our current high schools," said Bultema.
Bultema said it costs roughly $35 million for an elementary school and $50 million for a high school. It can take years to clear the property for use.
"We think by looking out in the future, we doing the right thing by looking 10, 15 years down the line," said Bultema.
The Chico Unified board of trustees' meeting was held at 5 p.m. at the district office at 1163 E. Seventh Street.
- New elementary school on the horizon for Chico
- Lockdown at Chico elementary school
- UPDATE: Chico Police clear Chapman Elementary School
- Chico preschool and Chico elementary school to undergo reconstruction
- Chapman Elementary School Garden
- Chico elementary school students take a lesson in Tai Chi
- Chico Unified to change boundary lines for some elementary schools
- Corning Union Elementary School District Speaks Out
- Rancho Tehama Elementary students return back to school
- Ranch Tehama Elementary School back in session today