REDDING, Calif. - A new development is in the works to bring shops and living space to Redding.
Action News Now spoke to people in Redding and they say the new development is a great addition to the downtown area.
"It's good, business is getting better," says Coy Stimpson Ferrera, who lives in Redding." It was getting a bit slower a few years back so now that business is going up, we need more places to live."
People think the new development will also revitalize the downtown area.
"I think it's a good thing for the city of Redding," says Greg Hermann, who lives in Redding. "We've always been looking for more growth and we're seeing a lot of it right now with the building of these two buildings."
The four-story development has two phases.
The first phase is completing the construction of the retail, dining, and living space which will be called Market Center. The first floor of the building will be used for retail and dining, while the remaining floors will be used for affordable housing. It will feature 82 housing units, ranging from studio to three-bedroom apartments, as well as an indoor community and fitness center.
The second phase of the project will include the re-pavement of Market, Yuba, and Butte streets to provide additional parking. The new development will also include a 42,000 square foot underground parking garage.
"I think Redding is on the move," said Anderson resident, Cathy Culmer. "I think it wants to be a city to be noticed and it's making those kinds of statements. I hope they do something with the homeless population, crime, and drugs. But Redding is the happening place, I think in the North State."
K2 Development Company is spearheading the project and plans are to have the new development completed by the end of this year.
- New downtown Redding development opening in 2020
- Restaurant Set to Open in Downtown Redding
- Roots Juice Bar Opens in Downtown Redding
- New development in downtown Redding aims to help revitalization
- Excitement Brewing in Downtown Redding
- Thieves Arrested in Downtown Redding
- Wilda’s restaurant opens new location in Downtown Redding
- Long-Awaited Food Truck Court Opens in Downtown Redding
- Redding Sees Update to Downtown Specific Plan
- Suspected bike thieves arrested in Downtown Redding