CHICO, Calif. -- Construction started Tuesday on safety improvements along Chico's iconic "Esplanade."
The work is underway on Cohasset Road and Memorial Way with the goal of making the route safer for drivers, pedestrians and for first responders.
Chico Public Works received a $360,000 grant. The funds will help go towards public safety projects on Esplanade.
The first part of construction will begin on East 8th and Esplanade.
ADA compliant ramps will be built on curbs. Rapid flashing beacons for pedestrians will be also installed. A bike path will be made on Cohasset.
"Something like this has probably been in the works for over a year now and it's a data-driven project, so there's been a high incidence of pedestrian and vehi8cle-related collisions, so it's much needed here"}
Part of the grant will go towards the emergency vehicle preemptive system.
Emergency vehicles will have units equipped to communicate with traffic lights so they can have a clear path through Esplanade.
Construction is expected to be finished by the fall.
FOLLOW LAURA ENG ON SOCIAL MEDIA:
- New Traffic System for First Responders on Chico's Esplanade
- GOP Establishes New Headquarters in Chico's Esplanade
- Big-Rig Versus Truck Collision Halts Traffic at Intersection of Highway 99 and Esplanade
- Chico traffic stop leads to drug arrest
- Chico PD adds traffic patrol unit
- Semi Truck Fire Stalls Traffic in Chico
- Chico State Graduation to Impact Downtown Traffic
- Traffic Controls Scheduled Through Chico State
- Chico Traffic Increases Following Camp Fire Evacuations
- Troubling Numbers in New Chico Traffic Report