REDDING, CALIF- It doesn't matter where you go, it seems like buildings all around Redding have cameras to protect their properties.
Now the Redding Police Department is jumping on board with new portable security cameras.
"We wanted to get those so we could use them for some of the high crime areas or troubled areas were we experiencing high volumes of theft and vandalism," said Lieutenant Jeff Wallace of the Redding Police Department.
The two portable security pole cameras will be paid for with a $46,000 grant.
Now, these portable security cameras will allow the department to move cameras to record potential crime at special events and high crime areas.
"To be able to go back and look at DVRed footage and identify suspects or vehicles that will really help us investigate crimes if they do occur," Wallace said.
Not only will the department get new cameras, but radios will also help in high-intensity situations like the Carr Fire and interagency communications.
"You can switch over to different agencies, APD, the Sheriffs' department, and all our contingent counties like Trinity and Siskiyou counties," Wallace said.
The police department isn't sure when the cameras will be installed at this time.
Residents in the area think that the cameras seem like a great idea as long as they don't invade anyone's privacy.
"It might be a little bit of an invasion of privacy as well depending on where they're placed around town but all in all if it's in areas where there have been some crime incidences it would be a good idea to put them up, " said Sabrina Hofkin, a Redding resident.
- New Security Cameras for Redding Police
- Redding police security camera database could help ID, catch criminals
- Butte County sheriff asks people to register security cameras
- Thieves caught on camera stealing generators from Red Bluff diner
- Texas School Shooting Sparks Security Questions in Redding
- Redding Police arrest "Habitual Thief"
- Redding police find missing woman
- Redding police chief announces retirement
- Redding police arrest stabbing suspect
- Redding police arrest suspected prowler