Medicare beneficiaries will soon be getting brand-new cards and officials are warning that scammers and identity thieves could switch to new methods to scam seniors into giving up their Social Security Numbers or other private info.
This is what the new Medicare cards will look like.
The big change is this alpha-numeric ID, which is designed to keep your private information private.
"The social security number is still protected because it is used for getting benefits." said Tatiana Fassieux, "The Medicare card is not going to have that number on it."
Medicare officials are warning of possible new scams targeting seniors.
Medicare recently began mailing new cards to more than 50,000 people in Butte County.
The beneficiary's Social Security Number has been removed from the new card to prevent identity theft.
"Your Medicare number was your social security number, so they're definitely phishing for that because they can open up credit cards." Fraud Liason Tim Sonnenburg said, "I had a report that someone in Kansas bought a house under somebody in California because of their social security number."
As a Fraud Liason, Tim Sonnenburg assists victims of Medicare fraud and investigates the claim.
He says most of the time he hears about scammers work over the phone so that they can remain anonymous, but recently he's had reports of scammers trying to go into senior living facilities pretending to be working for Medicare.
"I tell clients constantly, Medicare or Social Security have all of your information. They don't call, they don't come to the door, they don't sell anything." said Sonnenburg
- New Medicare Cards Could Bring New Scams
- Seniors learn how to detect new Medicare card phone scams
- HICAP presents 'Welcome to Medicare' workshops
- California Senior Medicare Patrol issues fraud alert
- Uber Driver Scams Rider
- Passages offers Medicare Open Enrollment Workshops and event for Caregivers
- What 'Medicare for All' means, politically and practically
- Chico CARD Center hosts annual Spring Jamboree
- CARD Movies in the Park Start Saturday
- EBT Card Blackout Set For This Weekend