CHICO, Calif. - The needle distribution program has been providing services at Humboldt Park in Chico on Sundays from 9 to 11 a.m.
"As of right now it's not looking good," a neighbor near Humboldt Park said.
Neighbors living across from Humboldt Park are concerned the needle distribution program will bring more negative attention to their area.
"To set up a tent and hand out needles at a grass park in front of a low income neighborhood is just not ok," another neighbor said.
"They're exacerbating the problem they're encouraging these people they're destroying the park for children and family's," a neighbor said.
Gomez says they are aware of the encampments and activity at the park, that's one of the reasons why they chose this location.
She says although it's a named park, Humboldt Park is not close to any schools and it doesn't have a playground.
"I've came across homeless people tweakers what not walking around with needles in their arms still hunched over laying on the floor with needles in them," a neighbor said.
Gomez told Action News Now there's a syringe litter hot-line that people can call to report needles found anywhere in the city.
Gomez said they'll usually respond to calls within the hour, but neighbors told me they are still worried for their community.
"Its just going to bring the wrong type of people here we have kids here we have everyone here in our neighborhood and the needles are just going to make it worse," a neighbor said.
- Needle distribution program underway
- Chico City council member discusses frustration of needle distribution program
- Butte County reacts to ban ruling for Orange County needle distribution programs
- Program could bring clean needles to the streets of Chico
- CA Department of Public Health approves needle program for Chico
- PG&E Wildfire Assistance Program distributes first checks to wildfire victims
- Mike Ramsey talks to Butte County Board of Supervisors regarding needle program
- Naloxone distributed to Butte County first responders
- Humboldt County agencies bust heroin distribution ring
- CHP Oroville Distributes Free Tri Tip Dinners