Redding, Calif -- Only a week after a deadly mass shooting at a high school in Parkland Florida, a viral social media threat is now striking fear in high schools all over the nation.
Including Redding’s own Shasta High School.
"I get a call from one of my assistant principals, hey I don't know if you're aware of this. So we're talking and I'm still trying to wake up and it's like oh my God," said Shasta high principal Leo Perez.
A user by the name Ray Andres posted Wednesday night , "I will not being telling people what my name is, but I will bring a gun to school tommorow, so be prepared to hear shoots."
Following up with a message that read "Yes SHS is the school I want."
"If you read one screenshot it presents the story of SHS, and there is no other information to make you believe it's anything other than us," said Perez.
Redding police and Shasta High say after investigating, the vague threat that did not mention a city or state, they determined the post originated in Ohio.
And Shasta High was safe.
But rumor or not, some parents decided not to send their kids to school on thursday.
Perez said attendance dropped Thursday by seven percent.
So now, Redding Police are trying to ease those fears within the community.
"We want to get that relief out to the public so people don't panic, and aren't afraid to send thier children to school," said lieutenant Jeff Wallace.
Even though Redding Police say the threat was not aimed at Shasta High, the school did have added security just in case.
According to our sister station in Ohio, police arrested a 17-year-old girl in connection to the threat.
She’s facing a string of charges including panic.
- National School Threat Reaches Redding
- Police say threat made on Redding high school was fake
- Redding Police clarify social media threat not about Shasta schools
- Red Bluff police: school shooting threat deemed not credible
- Sheriff says Red Bluff school threat not credible
- Possible Shooting Threat Puts Redding School on High Alert
- Redding High School Put on Brief Lockdown After Threat
- Red Bluff student arrested in connection with school-shooting threat
- Redding High School Shut Down as Part of National Hoax
- 'Pretty Little Liars' threats prompt school closure