UNITED STATES - National Pizza Day is celebrated on Saturday, February 9. Saturday is the most popular night in the United States for pizza delivery.
For centuries, pizza was primarily a dish enjoyed in Italy. In the early 20th century, the first American-style pizza shops popped up in New York and New Jersey, selling what was called "tomato pies."
Pizza truly became part of American culture after World War II, as U.S. soldiers stationed in Italy developed quite the taste for it.
According to the National Association of Pizza Operators, about three billion pizzas are sold in the U.S. each year.
Every American eats 23 pounds of pizza a year, on average.
Any guesses as to the most popular topping?
Why is pizza so addictive? CLICK HERE for another article about pizza that gives you the lowdown.
- National Pizza Day Delivers, Mostly Pepperoni
- It's National Pizza Day
- National Peanut Butter Day
- National Puppy Day
- National Lineman Appreciation Day
- It's National Waffle Day!
- It's national taco day!
- It's National Pumpkin Day!
- 100 pizzas and counting: German police probe pizza stalker
- It's National Hot Chocolate Day