YREKA, Calif. - 72 year old John Karl Bermel is the name of the man who was found dead near a heavily fire-damaged residence early in the morning of July 6, 2018 in Hornbrook.
Siskiyou County Sheriff's Office deputies recovered Bermel's body and an autopsy was conducted Wednesday.
Sheriff Jon Lopey said the injuries sustained by Bernel were consistent with a fire-related death, but said the actual cause and manner of death will not be determined until toxicology tests are returned from the forensics lab.
Sheriff Lopey said Thursday, "On behalf of the Siskiyou County Sheriff's Office, I would like to take this opportunity to extend our condolences, thoughts and prayers to the victim, his family and friends in the aftermath of his death."
The death of Bermel is till under investigation. If you have information about the incident you are urged to contact the Siskiyou County Sheriff's Office at their 24- hour Dispatch Center at (530) 841-2900.
- Name of Citizen Who Died During Klamathon Fire Released by Authorities
- Klamathon Fire Forces Evacuations
- Evacuees displaced from the Klamathon Fire
- Man Arrested in Connection to Klamathon Fire
- Crews Wrap Up ‘Klamathon Fire’ Clean-Up
- Chico Fire Department Citizens' Fire Academy
- Klamathon Fire:One fatality confirmed, I-5 traffic open again
- LATEST: Officials confirm one death in Klamathon Fire
- Klamathon Fire Press Conference from Friday July 7, 2018