SHASTA AND SISKIYOU COUNTIES, Calif. - The USGS ranked Mount Shasta and Mount Lassen as high eruption threats in a new volcano danger list.
A geology survey released a new 50-page report ranking Mount Shasta 5th and Mount Lassen 11th as high-risk for an eruption, due to activity below the surface.
"We're an active volcanic area, we're kind of near a lot of populated areas, so that's the reason that Lassen made it high on that list," said Kevin Sweeney, a ranger in the area.
Rangers said that the list does not necessarily mean that Mount Shasta or Mount Lassen are going to erupt, but it does mean that they are areas geologists will closely monitor.
They do have plenty of resources in place to make sure everyone is safe.
"There are a number of seismographs around the park that will measure any earthquake activity," Sweeney said.
- Mount Shasta and Lassen Ranked High for Eruption Threats
- D4 avalanche hits Mount Shasta
- Missing Mount Shasta Hiker Found Alive
- Mount Shasta ski season ends on Easter
- Government Ranks 18 US Volcanoes as 'Very High Threat'
- Highway closed at Lassen Volcanic National park
- Lassen Lodge Safety Realignment Project is completed
- Lassen National Forest needs their radios back
- Vegetation Fire Burns in Lassen National Forest
- Lassen County poacher sentenced for killing raptors