MENDOCINO COUNTY, Calif. - A 23-year-old woman from Humboldt County is accused of leaving her baby inside a car for 10 hours, resulting in the child’s death in Mendocino County.
According to the Mendocino County Sheriff’s Office, deputies got a call just after 1:30 p.m. on June 20 about an 18-month-old baby that had died in Howard Memorial Hospital, Willits.
Deputies learned that Alexandrea Raven Mays, 23, of Trinidad, the mother, brought the baby to the hospital.
Investigators found out that the child had been accidentally left inside the car for 10 hours after Mays went to socialize with people in a Willits home at 3 a.m. the same day, said Mendocino Sheriff.
Mendocino Sheriff says an investigation showed that Mays left her baby unattended in the back seat of her car with the windows rolled up until at least 1 p.m.
Mays was arrested and booked into the Mendocino County Jail for willfully causing or permitting a child to suffer great bodily injury or death.
A Mendocino County Superior Court Judge was contacted about Mays' bail and Mays is now being held without bail.
- Mendocino Sheriff: Baby Dies After Mother Leaves Him in Car for 10 Hours
- Mendocino Complex Fire Fully Contained
- Buried Alive: Baby Survives Hours In Woods
- Open Fire Burning near Mendocino National Forrest
- Thousands Evacuate due to Mendocino Fires
- 6 Arrests Made in Mendocino-Complex Fire
- California's Largest Wildfire: The Mendocino Complex
- Utah Firefighter killed while battling Mendocino Complex
- Fallen Firefighter from Mendocino-Complex Fire ID'd
- Butte County Sheriff's Office records unit special hours