SAN DIEGO (AP) - A man convicted of stabbing his roommate and stuffing his body in a barrel has been sentenced Monday to prison in California.
Timothy Cook received a sentence Monday of 56 years to life for second-degree murder. Cook was convicted last month of killing 28-year-old Omar Medina of Chula Vista in September 2017.
Authorities say Medina was stabbed 66 times. His body was found nearly two weeks later in a 55-gallon plastic barrel that had been anchored with wire and cinderblocks and dumped in San Diego Bay.
Cook acknowledged hiding the body but denied killing Medina.
- Man sentenced for killing roommate, hiding body in barrel
- Man Accused of Killing Roommate Appears in Court
- Gonzalo Curiel Guilty of Murdering 2 Children in Salinas, Hiding Bodies in Redding
- Colusa Co. murder suspect, victims were all roommates, authorities say
- Shingletown man arrested after found hiding in crawl space
- Man Threatens Roommates with Gun over Complaint of Noise: Chico PD
- Chico high students show off barrels at annual Smoker Barrel Build
- Man sentenced for trying to kill CHP officer in 2013
- Oroville Boys & Girls Clubs hosts Barrels, Bites & Bounty fundraiser
- French man arrives in Caribbean after crossing Atlantic in giant barrel