Photo Gallery 2 Images
OROVILLE, Calif. - A 20-year-old Oroville man pleaded guilty to selling marijuana gummy candies to Las Plumas High School students.
Jacob Lee Murray was arrested in early April after he was reported to school administrators as possibly being the person who had been selling the candies that had been showing up on the campus.
After an investigation led by the school with a Sheriff's deputy as a resource officer, Murray's vehicle was located in the school's parking lot. The deputy stopped the vehicle, contacted Murray and saw there was a 15-year-old student in the vehicle with him.
Upon investigation, the deputy found money and packaged gummy candies in the car. When questioned, the student said he had just bought gummies and some of the money found in the car was from their purchase.
The student turned over the gummies to the deputy and it was discovered that Murray was advertising through a mobile payment app.
District Attorney Mike Ramsey said the gummies were brought to the attention of school administrators after several students suffered adverse reactions.
Ramsey said the conviction was "important during the new era of cannabis legalization to keep such marijuana-infused candies away from growing adolescent brains, which studies have shown are particularly sensitive to the adverse effects of THC."
Murray was sentenced to probation in the County's Transitional Age Youth program, which includes up to 90 days in Juvenile Hall.
The program is designed to provide intensive supervision during probation which will allow Murray to have his felony conviction dismissed upon successful completion of the program.
- Man pleads guilty to selling marijuana candies to Oroville students
- Oroville serial rapist pleads guilty
- DUI Suspect in Deadly Oroville Crash Pleads Not Guilty
- Oroville City Council to reconsider marijuana ban
- Q&A on marijuana dispensaries held in Oroville
- Oroville; decides no ballot vote for marijuana
- Man Arrested After Marijuana Grow Operation Bust in Oroville
- Oroville man pleads not guilty to DUI for fatal Hwy 70 collision
- Oroville man pleads guilty in Highway 70 crash that killed 2