PLACER COUNTY, Calif. - The Placer County Sheriff's Office is warning people to stay away from the swift waters of the American River after a man was found dead in the waters.
Search crews found Andy Odon Ortega Fonseca, 23, of Sacramento, Monday afternoon. The sheriff's office said he fell into the river in the area of No Hands Bridge in Auburn at 7 p.m. Sunday while he was with his fiancée. Authorities said the man was quickly swept away by the river, and the search had to end at 9 p.m. Sunday due to lack of visibility. Search crews found Fonseca's body Monday afternoon.
The sheriff's office is now warning people to avoid the American River until at least June.
Officials say the river's temperature ranges from 38-45 degrees Fahrenheit, and the flows are swift and choppy. They also say it is easy to get swept under the current, even when the water appears calm.
- Man found dead in American River
- Missing Redding Man Found Dead
- American family found dead in Mexico while on vacation
- Roseville Man Found Dead at Lake Oroville
- Man found dead outside Red Bluff business
- Small Plane Crashes into American River
- Missing Chico woman found dead
- Body found in Van Duzen River
- Body Found In Sacramento River Identified
- Missing Family's Bodies Found in River