REDDING, Calif. - A suspected drunk driver has been arrested after a felony warrant was issued stemming from that fatal Dec. 2017 crash, Redding police said.
The crash happened on Dec. 15 when police said Alexander James Kirby, 27 lost control of his vehicle on Balls Ferry Road in Cottonwood striking a fence and a telephone pole.
Kirby’s passenger Sean Kenneth Michael Binder, 22, of Redding was ultimately killed in the collision and Kirby was charged with gross vehicular manslaughter while intoxicated and driving under the influence causing injury.
A felony warrant was issued for Kirby in Mar. of 2018 and the Shasta District Attorney’s Office sought the suspect in fear that he would escape to Texas.
The Redding Neighborhood Police Unit launched a surveillance operation on Friday at the 2800 block of Helen St. in Redding and at about 4 p.m. Kirby was caught smoking a cigarette in front of the apartments there.
Arriving officers contacted Kirby, but he attempted to run away, according to Redding police.
After a brief struggle, Kirby was arrested and booked into the Shasta County Jail for the felony warrant as well as obstructing an officer.
Kirby’s case will be referred to the Shasta District Attorney’s Office for prosecution.
- Suspected DUI driver involved in 2017 crash runs from Redding police
- Suspected DUI Driver Rear-Ends Redding Police Car
- Redding DUI Hit and Run
- Suspected DUI Driver Dies After Jumping Off Bridge: Redding PD
- Suspected DUI driver crashes into family's home in south Oroville
- Suspected DUI driver speeds, crashes, gets major injuries
- DUI Driver Leaves Redding Traffic Sign Damaged: Police
- Suspected DUI driver rams LA patrol cars
- Suspected DUI driver arrested in Chico
- Chico Police Arrest Hit and Run, DUI Suspect