NEWCASTLE, Calif. - The Placer County Sheriff's Office arrested a man for trying to set his employer on fire.
The Sheriff's Office said Robert Weathers, 44, is a transient and registered sex offender from Sacramento. Deputies arrested him Friday after an hours-long search from the ground and air.
Authorities said Weathers was hired to do yard work at a home in Newcastle, Friday, when he suddenly began pouring gasoline on the homeowner's driveway, inside the garage, and over another victim's truck. Authorities said the homeowner tried confronting him and Weathers threw gasoline on them, then tried to light the gasoline trail on fire. No one was injured and Weathers fled from the scene.
Deputies set up a perimeter around Tierra Del Lago Place and Hector Road, and deployed two K-9s, in addition to CHP's Air21. The search was called off after several hours, as deputies and K-9s lost Weather's tracks. Later Friday evening, deputies working an ABC detail found Weathers walking along Auburn-Folsom Road near Placer Canyon.
Weathers was arrested and charged with arson, criminal threats, assault with a caustic chemical and attempted vehicle theft.
Weathers is being held on $160,000 bail at the South Placer Jail.
- Man arrested for trying to set employer on fire
- Volunteer Firefighter Fired After Carr Fire Sues Ex-employer
- Chico community employment center to relocate
- Redding Police Arrest Man for Intentionally Setting Own Car on Fire
- TCSO: Man Arrested for Trying to Set Fire to Los Molinos Church
- Man Arrested in Connection to Klamathon Fire
- Man Found Guilty of Setting Fires near Oroville
- ICYMI: Chico Woman Who Was Set on Fire is Recovering; Husband Arrested
- Anderson man arrested for theft and firing handgun
- Los Angeles police arrest man after fatal music studio fire