REDDING, Calif. - Redding police officers investigated reports of a disturbance that were followed by calls from people who heard gunshots on the 3600 block of Church Creek Road on Saturday night. The incident happened at approximately 8:45 p.m.
When officers arrived they discovered live rifle rounds in an apartment complex parking lot. A witness told police he saw a man put at AR-15 style rifle into a case and leave the area.
Redding police officer Nolan Guiducci searched the area and located 28-year-old Fabian Ortiz of Redding walking on Loma Vista Drive with a nylon guitar case.
Police said Ortiz was cooperative until more police arrived. They said an AR-15 style rifle was found in the man's guitar case along with a high capacity magazine.
Ortiz was on Post Release Community Supervision (PRCS) for an assault on a police officer. He also had prior felony convictions that did not allow him to possess guns or ammunition. He was arrested for possession of those items and also for violating is released supervision terms.
Police said witnesses told them Ortiz had been in an argument with a woman in the apartments. They told police Ortiz fired a single shot at the apartment building before leaving the area. Police said the bullet did not strike the building. No one was injured during the incident.
- Man arrested after police find rifle in his guitar case
- Chico Police: Suspect Arrested in Guitar Assault
- Humboldt County man finds loaded assault rifles
- Redding Police arrest man for shooting neighbor with airsoft rifle
- Man arrested after walking through McKinleyville with loaded rifle
- Viral Post: Man turned in his rifle to police
- Redding Police make arrest after reports of a man with a rifle
- Redding traffic collision leads to arrest of man possessing assault rifle
- Chico man arrested for violating restraining order with assault rifles, illegal fireworks and drugs
- Humboldt Co. man barricades himself after firing rifle