OROVILLE, Calif.—The Butte County Sheriff’s Office (BCSO) say they received information that a woman had been kidnapped related to illegal marijuana activity in Butte County on March 4th 2016.
BCSO Deputies gathered information and determined that the victim and her assailants were at the McDonalds in Gridley.
BCSO immediately advised Gridley Police of the circumstances.
Gridley Police responded to the Gridley McDonalds and detained Demetrius Cortez Elliott until BCSO deputies arrived.
BCSO deputies arrested Elliott for kidnapping and using a firearm during the kidnapping.
Elliott received an enhanced sentence due to prior felony convictions.
Elliott is currently serving a 29 year sentence in State Prison.
The investigation into the incident continued, and BCSO Detectives determined that Antonio Martez Woodard was the ring leader in a conspiracy related to the kidnapping and potential marijuana robbery.
Woodard fled from California to North Carolina.
BCSO Detectives obtained a Felony Arrest Warrant for Woodard.
The warrant led to Woodard being arrested once in North Carolina and a second time in Oregon.
Both arrests Woodard posted bail and was released.
Woodard was recently arrested in North Carolina on kidnapping charges and was brought back to Butte County.
Woodard was convicted in a jury trial on May 9th 2018.
He was sentenced to 13 years and 4 months in state prison for kidnapping, first degree residential burglary, and firearms enhancement due to the fact that a firearm was used during the kidnapping and burglary.
Woodard received the maximum sentence allowed by law.
Stay with Action News Now for all of your local coverage. SIGN UP: Get our daily newsletter
- Man Sentenced for 2016 Kidnapping and Burglary
- Redding Man Sentenced for Attempted Murder, Kidnapping
- North State man sentenced for burglary, assault
- Cottonwood Man Receives Prison Sentence Following Rape and Kidnapping Charges
- Shasta County DA: Kidnapping convict sentenced to 11 years
- Attempted Kidnapping Victim Speaks
- Man convicted of California baby kidnap-killing
- Man shot by police is burglary suspect
- Chico Police arrest man for home burglary
- Siskiyou County man arrested for burglary