UPDATE 1:02 p.m. Thursday, Nov. 1, 2018 - A man was sentenced to three years in prison for a deadly hit and run crash on Highway 99 near Gridley in May.
Prosecutors say that John Gieck, 43, of North Highlands, fled the crash scene and found hiding in a nearby cemetery.
During the crash, Isidro Rameriz, 68, of Chico, was killed.
Gieck pleaded guilty to drinking and driving and leaving the scene of an accident that resulted in injury.
BUTTE COUNTY, Calif. -District Attorney Mike Ramsey says 43-year-old John Gieck pleaded no contest to felony counts of driving under the influence causing death and hit and run.
Back on May 5th, 2018 Gieck was driving south on Highway 99 and struck the vehicle of a 32-year-old woman from Chico that had both of her parents inside. Her 68-year-old father died.
After the crash, Gieck hid in the nearby Gridley-Biggs Cemetery.
Authorities say his blood alcohol level at the time of the crash was approximately .14 percent.
Gieck faces 11 years in state prison.
- Sacramento County Man Receives Prison Sentence for Deadly DUI Hit and Run in Gridley
- Bangor man sentenced for role in deadly hit-and-run, admits new DUI
- Redding DUI Hit and Run
- Bangor man sentenced for role in deadly hit-and-run
- Woman Faces 12-Year Sentence in Deadly Hit-and-Run
- Man Arrested for Felony DUI and Hit and Run
- Chico Police: Man arrested in DUI hit & run
- Paradise man arrested for DUI, hit-and-run arrest
- Gridley Hit-and-Run Driver Sentenced to 4 Months in Jail
- Gridley Police Searching for Suspect in Fatal Hit and Run