CHICO, Calif.—A Chico man is charged with disturbing a public meeting after his arrest during Tuesday evening City Council Meeting.
Chico Mayor Sean Morgan asked the Sergeant at Arms to remove 32 year old Mark Herrera after he reportedly became overly aggressive when addressing the Council about the group Chico First.
One City Council member says Herrera continually broke procedures for speaking to the Council.
Each speaker is given three minutes.
While Herrera did not exceed the time limit, the Mayor said he overstepped the guidelines of protocol.
Herrera believes his right to free speech was violated.
Chico Police say once removed from the proceedings, Herrera was expected to be cited and released.
however during booking he was found to be intoxicated.
Police say for his own safety he was taken to Butte County Jail and later released.
Herrera unsuccessfully ran for City Council in 2010, and served four years on the Parks & Playground Commission.
In 2014 Herrera chained himself to a tree to protest its removal for a roundabout.
Herrera is scheduled to be in court on June 6th.
Stay with Action News Now for all of your local coverage. SIGN UP: Get our daily newsletter
- Man Arrested in Chico City Council Meeting
- Oroville City Council Meeting moved
- Chico City Council Removes Chico Airport Commissioner
- Chico Leaders React to Tense City Council Meeting
- OrovilleFire Safe Council Meeting
- Oroville City Council Holds Special Meeting
- Chico City Council Addresses Hot Topics
- Hillary Clinton Endorses Chico City Council Candidate
- Chico City Council Addresses Housing Crisis