TEHAMA COUNTY, Calif. - A man has been confirmed dead after a deputy exchanged gunfire with a man inside a suspicious vehicle parked at the Dollar General in Los Molinos, according to the Tehama County Sheriff’s Office (TCSO).
According to TCSO, the officer-involved shooting began around 7:30 p.m. when a deputy tried to contact a suspicious vehicle, a dark grey Honda, in the parking lot of Dollar General in Los Molinos.
Within 5 minutes into the contact, the suspect pulled out a gun and began shooting at the deputy, initiating an exchange of gunfire, said TCSO.
The suspect was then able to flee with his vehicle and drive northbound on Highway 99E where other Tehama County authorities attempted to chase it, as it was heading westbound on Antelope Boulevard.
Then when officers tried to catch up with the suspicious car going northbound on Interstate 5, it crashed along the area of Hookercreek.
The crash left Interstate 5 closed north of Red Bluff near Jellys Ferry Road closed for quite some time.
Authorities said the solo collision killed the man, driving the Honda, but law enforcement continued to search for any other possible suspects who might have fled from the crash.
As of Saturday night, the unnamed deputy at the time of the 7:30 shooting had a woman inside the patrol car with him as part of the sheriff’s office “ride along” program.
The deputy and woman were transported to local hospitals after the shooting and are expected to survive and make a full recovery.
It is unclear if there is a second suspect into Saturday’s shooting.
The investigation into the shooting is ongoing and the sheriff’s office is asking the public for any information if they witnessed the scene to call at (530)-529-7920.
- TCSO: 1 Dead, Deputy Shot During Officer-Involved Shooting
- TCSO: Off Duty Deputy-Involved Shooting Provoked by Dog Attack
- TCSO: Cow worth $1,500 shot and killed in Vina
- Hostage situation turns into deputy-involved shooting, 1 man dead
- Officer Involved Shooting in Marysville
- BCSO: Deputy-involved Shooting, Suspect Killed
- 1 Dead in Butte County Officer-Involved Shooting
- Officer Involved Shooting Leaves one Dead in Oroville
- TCSO: Suspected DUI driver fires 150 shots in Rancho Tehama, no injuries
- Man Identified in Deadly Officer Involved Shooting