UPDATE: 4/25/2018 7:04 p.m.
SACRAMENTO, Calif.-- A man accused of committing serial killings and rapes in the 1970s and '80s in California has been charged with four more counts of murder.
Orange County prosecutors said Wednesday that Joseph James DeAngelo, a 72-year-old former police officer, was charged in the 1980 killings of Keith and Patrice Harrington in Dana Point.
He's also charged with raping and killing 28-year-old Manuela Witthuhn in 1981 and 18-year-old Janelle Cruz in 1986.
Police have said they believe DeAngelo is the so-called Golden State Killer who is suspected of committing at least 12 homicides, 45 rapes and dozens of burglaries across California.
DeAngelo was taken into custody earlier Wednesday as he left his Sacramento-area home..
UPDATE: 4/25/2018 12:43 p.m.
SACRAMENTO, Calif.-- California authorities say DNA in two 1978 killings in Sacramento led to the arrest of a man suspected of being a serial killer tied to dozens of slayings and sexual assaults in the 1970s and '80s.
Sacramento County District Attorney Anne Marie Schubert told reporters Wednesday that the DNA helped solve the case in the last six days.
She said the "answer was always going to be in the DNA" and the connection came in the slayings of Brian and Katie Maggiore.
Authorities say a serial killer committed at least 12 homicides, 45 rapes and dozens of burglaries across the state. The attacker became known as the "East Area Rapist."
UPDATE: 4/25/2018 11:48 a.m.
SACRAMENTO, Calif.-- A law enforcement official has identified a suspected California serial killer as 77-year-old Joseph James DeAngelo, a former police officer.
The official confirmed the identity on condition of anonymity before an official news conference planned for noon Wednesday.
Sacramento County jail records show DeAngelo was arrested overnight on suspicion of two counts of murder cited in a Ventura County warrant.
The FBI says it has a team gathering evidence at a Sacramento- area home linked to DeAngelo.
Authorities say a serial killer committed at least 12 homicides, 45 rapes and dozens of burglaries across the state in the 1970s and 1980s.
The attacker became known as the "East Area Rapist."
SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) - The Sacramento County District Attorney's Office plans to make a 'major announcement" in the case of an elusive serial killer they say committed at least 12 homicides, 45 rapes and dozens of burglaries across California in the 1970s and 1980s.
District Attorney's spokeswoman Shelly Osorio says a news conference will be held Wednesday afternoon in Sacramento to make "a major announcement."
FBI and California officials last year renewed their search for the suspect dubbed the East Area Rapist and announced a $50,000 reward for his arrest and conviction. He's linked to more than 175 crimes in all between 1976 and 1986.
A woman who was sexually assaulted by a man believed to be the East Area Rapist in 1976 and now lives in South Carolina tells The Island Packet newspaper Wednesday that she has been contacted by two detectives about an arrest.
(Copyright 2018 The Associated Press.)
- Sacramento DA: 'Golden State Killer' Arrested
- 'Golden State Killer' Trial to be Held in Sacramento
- Suspected Golden State Killer Back in Court
- Golden State Killer Victims get Compensation
- Mother and daughter recount frightening experience with 'Golden State Killer'
- 'Golden State Killer' Suspect Could be Linked to Other Cases
- California seeking death penalty against Golden State Killer suspect
- Suspected ISIS Soldier Arrested in Sacramento
- Identity Of Golden State Killer Has Brought Questions About Shasta County Cold Case
- Sacramento gang crackdown brings 29 arrests, 211 seized guns