A Chico woman received several threatening calls from someone claiming to be the IRS.
She knew immediately that it was fake, but now wants to alert the community about these types of scams.
"We have just received a notification regarding your tax filing from the headquarters which will be expired within the next 24 hours."
This is the urgent voicemail Jill Dwyer received several times this week of someone claiming to be the IRS.
The recoding also said, "And once it gets expired you will be taken into custody by the local cops."
She claims, "It was very aggressive."
This isn't the first scam call Dwyer has received in the 20 plus years she's lived in Chico, but these ones seemed to be more intense.
She says, "The threat level was really retched up so I’ve never gotten these calls to this level before."
Dwyer knew it was fake and immediately called Chico Police to report this.
They said they are more than likely phantom phone numbers so they are really hard to go after.
She then decided to warn the community to help people who could fall victim to this type of scam like her parents.
She said, "They're very trusting people and more than likely they would feel threatened by this phone call and more than likely call them back."
This is exactly what you don't want to do, instead Chico Police advises you to, "Hang up immediately, make sure not to give them any personal information, no address, no information about you credit card numbers or debit card numbers."
Unfortunately this is nothing new tax season means scam season.
You can stay up to date on all the latest scams being reported by signing-up for alerts from the FTC.
We have a news link on our website.
- Local woman warns residents of phone scam claiming to be IRS
- Yuba City Police warning residents of phone scam
- Shasta County warning residents about a deputy phone scam
- Redding Police warn city about phone scams
- Shasta County Sheriff warns Public about Phone Scam
- Plumas County Sheriff's Office warns of phone scam
- Shasta Co. Sheriff's Office warns about new phone scam
- Siskiyou County Sheriff's Office warns of phone scam
- Red Bluff Police warn of new phone scam
- Butte County woman warns of Facebook Camp Fire scam