CHICO, Calif. - One local restaurant is happily welcoming a crowd this St. Patrick's Day, after shutting down on last year's holiday as the pandemic started spreading in the North State.
Last year, Tres Hombres shut down the day before St. Patrick's Day, on March 16, because of the pandemic. But now, they're back open and ready to celebrate the holiday safely.
"It was the beginning of the pandemic, we were waiting for county guidance. This time last year we were trying to figure out what was going on," General Manager, Javier Franco said.
"It was very difficult, not just for me but for my coworkers, we were scared, we were afraid," employee, Pablo Trenado said.
Both Franco and Trenado remember when they closed due to COVID-19 like it was yesterday. The restaurant shutting its doors on one of the busiest holidays of the year.
"I'm looking forward to seeing who goes out and people having fun because it's been a year of not having fun and it's been tiring," Franco said.
The difficult year created a strong bond within the Tres Hombres family.
"We were experiencing the same thing," Franco said. "So we all were able to empathize with each other and the struggles we were going through."
Trenado said it brought the team closer.
"We are stronger than ever after the pandemic one year later and we are ready to move forward," he said.
The majority of the workers at Tres Hombres have received their first dose of the COVID-19 vaccine.