Chico, Calif. -- They say lightning doesn't strike in the same place twice, and for one Oroville family whose home was struck Thursday evening, they certainly hope that is the case.
"There was an explosion, ball of light, explosion all at the same time. I've never seen or heard anything like it. We were sitting in our recliner chairs watching the evening news, suddenly this huge explosion went over our cook top," said John Gomes, an Oroville homeowner whose house was struck by lightning.
CAL FIRE said it is not definitive, but lightning might have hit an object near the home and then traveled to the downdraft range which then exploded.
"It sounded like the whole house should be gone!" said Gomes.
The kitchen began to fill with a smokey haze, but thankfully neither the couple or their 7 pets were injured.
"You know, what can you do? It's mother nature, she wants to do it again, she'll do it again, she's not going to call you. It happens, it happens," said Gomes.
Gomes said after he heard the explosion, he found certain electronics like his cable, router and projector screen stopped working, but it is a small cost for something that could have turned out much worse.
"We just have to go on the premise that lightning strikes twice, keep our fingers crossed," said Gomes.
- Lightning strikes Oroville home
- Fire destroys home in Oroville
- Car Crashes Into Oroville Home
- Fire destroys mobile home in Oroville
- Vacant home catches fire in South Oroville
- Squatters in Oroville using Vacant Home
- 30-Acre Fire Burns Near Oroville Homes
- Juneteenth Celebrations in Oroville
- Lake Oroville Spillway Update
- Oroville Campaign Sign Theft