UPDATE 1:02 p.m. Tuesday, July 3, 2019 -
NEW YORK (AP) - New York state's attorney general wants a judge to help resolve conflicting accounts by President Donald Trump and his administration as to whether they still want a citizenship question added to the 2020 census.
Attorney General Letitia James asked U.S. District Judge Jesse Furman Wednesday for an immediate hearing over the statements after the U.S. Supreme Court last week decided the question can't immediately be added.
James cited a Wednesday Trump tweet in which the president said news reports saying the Department of Commerce was dropping its quest to add the citizenship question were "FAKE!"
She also cited a statement by the commerce secretary saying the Census Bureau was printing the questionnaires without the question.
UPDATE 7:38 p.m. Tuesday, July 2, 2019 -
WASHINGTON (AP) - The U.S. Census Bureau has started the process of printing the 2020 questionnaire without a controversial question about citizenship. The action comes days after the U.S. Supreme Court halted the addition of the question. Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross says that while he respects the Supreme Court's decision, he strongly disagrees with it. Ross says the bureau's focus is "to conduct a complete and accurate census."
UPDATE 4:35 p.m. Tuesday, July 2, 2019 - California State Attorney General Xavier Becerra verified in a tweet that the federal government has conceded that there will be no citizenship question on the 2020 Census. Becerra said, "This is a hard fought victory for our democracy, our nation, and our people."
California Governor Gavin Newsom issued this statement: This is a victory for Californians and for our democracy and a defeat for the Trump administration’s relentless attack on our immigrant communities. California has refused to stand by and let this Administration succeed in its attempt to undermine our census count. Everyone needs to be counted. Our message is clear, if you don’t participate, Trump wins."
WASHINGTON D.C. - The Trump administration says the 2020 Census questionnaire is moving ahead without a question about citizenship.
That's according to an attorney for a civil rights group that helped fight the addition of the question.
Kristen Clarke said Tuesday that Trump administration attorneys notified parties in lawsuits challenging the question that the printing of the hundreds of millions of documents for the 2020 counts would be starting soon.
The White House didn't immediately comment on the decision. President Donald Trump has decried last week's Supreme Court ruling saying the question was sought under a false pretext.
Spokespeople for the U.S. Census Bureau have not responded to emails or phone calls seeking comment.
(Copyright 2019 The Associated Press)