Photo Gallery 8 Images
CHICO, Calif. - A large explosion in North Chico on Tuesday led police to the discovery of a butane honey oil lab.
The Chico Police Department received reports about the explosion from concerned residents in the 2600 block of Burnap Avenue on Feb. 19.
Upon arrival, officers found a home missing its garage door, which appeared to have been blown off due to the explosion. The blast also blew the roof off the home, causing other explosive damage to the residence.
There were no people inside the home at the time, but several witnesses said that they saw multiple people flee the home prior to the officers' arrival.
The Butte Inter-Agency Narcotics Task Force arrived on scene and continued the investigation.
The force found a leaking closed loop butane honey oil lab inside the home. Law enforcement cut power and gas to the home.
Authorities found a total of 23 ounces of hash oil, 261 vape pens, 158 pounds of marijuana and two hits of LSD in the home.
The investigation also revealed that the home was being used as an illegal hash oil manufacturing location making vape pens for an illegal, Chico-based mobile dispensary. The production and the dispensary were both in violation of California's Proposition 64 and state law.
Officers located one of the four suspects identified as Brittney Larsen, 28, of Chico.
According to authorities, Larsen's 5-month-old child was present when the hash lab exploded and the child's bedroom was being used to store a large amount of marijuana.
Larsen was arrested for felony manufacturing controlled substance, maintaining a residence for drug sales and felony child endangerment.
- Butane honey oil lab explodes in North Chico neighborhood
- UPDATE: Butane Honey Oil Lab causes garage fire
- 2 arrested after discovery of butane honey oil lab in Oroville
- Honey oil lab raid turns up gun manufacturing operation
- Shasta narcotics task force bust an elaborate honey oil operation
- Gift for Lab Renovation at Chico State
- Paradise Lens Lab reopens in Chico
- Chico Police host Neighborhood Watch meeting
- Standoff situation ends in Chico Avenues neighborhood
- Drug agents bust meth and mescaline labs in Chico