BUTTE COUNTY, Calif. - North State Congressman Doug LaMalfa issued a statement saying that he support's President Trump's decision to declare a national emergency in order to secure the southern border.
LaMalfa released the following statement:
"I support the President’s decision today to use the powers of the Executive to secure our southern border.
I would have preferred to accomplish this legislatively, but the intractability of Democrat leadership to adequately address this issue has made that impossible.
This decision is not without precedent – there have been nearly 60 national emergencies declared by U.S. Presidents since 1976.
Similarly, previous governors of New Mexico and Arizona have also declared states of emergency along the border in the past.
I’ve been working with the White House to ensure funding for disaster recovery and critical civil works projects, such as levees and water storage, are not affected by a shift in funding in this process.
The situation at the southern border is a humanitarian and national security crisis, and it’s a national emergency.
The stubborn opposition to a regulated border is incomprehensible and endangers American citizens.”
- LaMalfa supports national emergency declaration to secure southern border
- LaMalfa Supports Declaration of Jerusalem as Israel’s Capital
- LaMalfa Supports Tax Cuts and Jobs Act
- LaMalfa Talks on Agriculture Tariffs
- Yuba county declares state of emergency
- Redding considers declaring state of fiscal emergency
- Shasta County Sheriff's Office declares local emergency
- Governor Newsom requests Presidential Emergency Declaration
- House passes resolution to overturn Trump's emergency declaration on border wall
- Congressman LaMalfa responds to gov’t shutdown