UPDATE 6:32 p.m. Sunday, Sept. 16, 2018 - At the bottom of this article you can find a video of the debate between Denney and LaMalfa, produced by SCAC-TV, the community access station managed by the Shasta County Arts Council.
ANDERSON, Calif. - Sunday afternoon hundreds of citizens gathered for a forum designed to help people decide who is the best fit for California's 1st district in the U.S. House of Representatives.
Republican incumbent Doug LaMalfa is facing Democratic challenger Audrey Denney. They debated and answered questions from the audience in a Shasta County League of Women Voters' debate on Sunday, to a standing room only crowd.
Action News Now reporter Spencer Joseph was at the candidate forum and says the two candidates touched on everything from local issues like the raising of Shasta Dam, to national issues such as health care and immigration.
Joseph said the recent fires were a topic that was touched on again and again by the candidates. They addressed both firefighting funding and the recovery efforts for the Carr, Hirz and Delta Fires.
The forum was civil and even light-hearted, Joseph said.
Prior to the event, the moderator for the League of Women Voters' debate said that they wanted to get more than 400 people out to the event to hear out the candidates.
"We want them to look at each candidate for who they are, what they stand for, where they're going, what they plan to do. We changed the location of the forum just a couple days ago anticipating that we would have more than 400 people. So we can house more than 400 people here [Anderson Union High School Auditorium]."
This was one of two forums to be held for the District 1 House of Representatives race.
The second debate will be held on Sept. 17 in Plumas County at the Graeagle Fire Hall at 7 p.m.
- LaMalfa and Denney Square Off on Big North State and National Issues
- Denney and LaMalfa to Debate Sunday and Monday
- Doug LaMalfa Beats Audrey Denney in Congressional Race
- LaMalfa Talks on Agriculture Tariffs
- LaMalfa supports national emergency declaration to secure southern border
- North State Congressmember LaMalfa Talks About the Reopening of the Federal Government
- Congressman Doug LaMalfa reacts to State of the Union Address
- LaMalfa Supports Tax Cuts and Jobs Act
- Congressman LaMalfa responds to gov’t shutdown
- One-on-one with Congressman Doug LaMalfa