LOS ANGELES (AP) - Los Angeles police are investigating allegations Oscar-winning director Roman Polanski molested a 10-year-old girl in 1975.
Although the allegations are so old criminal charges cannot be brought, detectives may be able to use evidence they collect to help prosecute other cases.
The 84-year-old's been a fugitive since fleeing to France in 1978 while awaiting sentencing for sexually assaulting a 13-year-old.
The latest allegations were reported to police in October when Marianne Barnard said she was molested during a photo shoot in 1975 after Polanski had her pose nude.
She's used social media to draw attention to her allegations.
The Associated Press doesn't generally name people who report being sexually assaulted, unless they've discussed their allegations publicly.
Polanski's attorney believes an investigation will "prove the whole story to be bogus."
- LA police probe claim Roman Polanski molested girl in '75
- Marysville Police arrest suspect in suspected child molestation case
- Police Searching for Suspect Wanted in Child Molestation Case
- Merced Sheriff released molester by mistake
- California pastor suspected of motel molestation surrenders
- Arrest Made in Child Molestation Case
- Former Chico High teacher pleads guilty to molesting student
- Former Chico High School teacher pleads guilty to molesting student
- Bill Cosby Convicted of Drugging and Molesting Women
- Former Chico High Teacher Sentenced for Molesting Student