Chico, Calif.-- Maybe the most infamous pest of the summer season is the mosquito - with reports of West Nile Virus in recent years across the North State, these pests can be a serious problem.
We know already that there are several mosquitoes in Butte County plagued with WNV; Honcut, Palermo, and Dayton - the virus is here.
With increasing mosquito populations, the Butte County Mosquito and Vector Control District urges residents to take all precautions necessary to drain any and all unneeded standing water, report any suspected mosquito-breeding sites and protect themselves from the bites of mosquitoes.
Remove standing water on your property from plant saucers, clogged gutters and garden containers -- they're potential breeding sites.
There's an array of products marketed to help deal with mosquitoes and other annoying flying critters: sprays, herbs, zappers, citronella, coils, lanterns, candles, oils, dunks, fogs, torches, table-top diffusers, wipes, lotions and one-time yard treatments.
And another creepy-crawly that makes itself known in warm weather is the spiders.
They have plenty of benefits, but that doesn't mean we want to see them all over our homes.
If you've ever needed a reason to finally de-clutter your home, now you have one.
Spiders are crafty creatures that like to lurk in the shadows of your clutter, so make sure you're not giving them a comfy home to begin with.
Other bugs like to hang out around clutter too. cut off the food supply, and spiders are lot less likely to stay.
Get rid of the things you don't need and organize what you want to keep in storage containers.
Sealable plastic containers are best, because they can keep spiders and spider food out more effectively.
Lastly, it helps to dust and vacuum your home regularly.
Spiders are smart enough to know where their food goes, so light fixtures are a common place to find their webs.
For tips on ant, bee and wasp prevention and treatment, click here.
- Keeping Mosquitoes and Spiders Away From Your Home
- Winter warming trend awakens hibernating mosquitoes
- Warmer Weather Means Mosquitoes are Breeding
- Blowtorch Used to Kill Spiders May Have Started Fresno Fire
- Mosquito and Vector Control Prepares for Summer Months
- Diseases From Tick, Mosquito Bites Triples In Recent Years
- Mosquito Control: West Nile Virus detected, active in Butte County
- Residents try to kill spider with torch lighter, cause apartment fire in Redding
- Comic Book Genius Stan Lee, Spider-Man Creator, Dies at 95
- Butte County Mosquito and Vector Control District Takes to the Skies to Fight 'Backyard Breeders'