SHASTA LAKE, Calif. - A K-9 officer is being credited with helping Shasta Lake deputies make an early morning arrest.
The arrest happened around 12:55 a.m. in the area of Lake Boulevard and Hiatt Drive in Redding.
Deputies said they spotted a car with an expired registration and then discovered that two of the three passengers had a warrant out for their arrest. Another passenger was on probation for burglary and had an expired license.
Authorities attempted to detain 33-year-old Derrick Steele and 31-year-old Kaula Reed, but Steele attempted to escape by running off.
Deputies deployed K-9 officer Hondo, who fought to help detain Reed. The suspect was holding the K-9 by his neck when Hondo started to bite him.
Eventually, Reed surrendered to officers. A search of the vehicle revealed methamphetamine and he was placed under arrest.
Steele was transported to Shasta Regional Medical Center for treatment of dog bites. He was also booked into Shasta County jail.
- K-9 helps Shasta Lake deputies make early morning arrest
- Deputies arrest man on Shasta County's Most Wanted, K-9 assistance
- Shasta Lake Drug Arrest
- Deputies Find Deceased Man in Shasta Lake
- Deputies arrest man suspected of stealing boat at Shasta Lake
- Local companies make donation to Shasta County K-9 officers
- K-9 Helps Arrest Redding Burglary Suspect
- Officers, K-9 arrest one of Shasta County's Most Wanted
- Shasta County Sheriff's deputies arrest shooting suspect
- Sight of stolen vehicle tips deputies to arrest 5 people in Shasta Lake City