OROVILLE, Calif. – If you are looking for something to do this weekend, there will be a celebration taking place in Oroville which will mark a pivotal moment in American history.
The African American Cultural Center is set to host the annual Juneteenth celebration. Juneteenth is the oldest known celebration to mark the end of slavery in the United States. That moment came in December of 1865.
Communities around the country traditionally celebrate the day. CBS Evening News took viewers to the Harriet Tubman Underground Railroad National Historic Park in Maryland for Juneteenth celebrations in 2017 to capture images and speak with children about the historical significance of the day as well as the history surrounding Harriet Tubman.
Visitors to the location learn more about Tubman, who played a crucial role in assisting hundreds of enslaved Africans reach freedom via the Underground Railroad.
In Oroville, the Saturday Juneteenth celebrations will take place at Martin Luther King, Jr. Park, located at 2921 B Street, South Oroville. The event runs from 2:00 PM until 8:00 PM. For more information, contact 530.532.1205.
Stay with Action News Now for all of your local coverage. SIGN UP: Get our daily newsletter
- Juneteenth Celebrations in Oroville
- Kwanzaa Celebration Planned in Oroville
- New York New Year's Eve celebration in Oroville
- Celebrate Chinese New Year at Oroville's Chinese Temple
- Chinese New Year celebrated at historic Oroville Temple Sunday
- 90th Anniversary Celebration planned for Oroville State Theatre
- Community wide Arbor Day celebration was held in Oroville
- Celebrating Snow!
- Lightning strikes Oroville home
- Lake Oroville Spillway Update