SAN DIEGO, Calif. - California Governor Candidate John Cox released a statement conceding the election to Lieutenant Governor Gavin Newsom.
Read his full statement below:
“Thank you to each and every one of my supporters for their hard work these past days, weeks and months. Thank you to my family, and especially my wonderful wife Sarah, who has been an anchor in what, at times, were very rough seas.
“I spoke with Lt. Governor Gavin Newsom a few minutes ago to wish him and his lovely family well. I also offered him my most sincere congratulations.
“I could not be more proud of the race that we ran. We focused on the issues that people really care about -- affordability, the high cost of food and gas, failing and unsafe schools, and homelessness and a lack of affordable housing.
“This is the future - it’s the future of our Republican Party here in California and we MUST continue to be the voice that holds the political class accountable.
“I am proud that we also gained the support of many Independent voters and even some Democrats. I also want to thank those voters for their support and say that I pray that our new governor and our legislature acknowledge those voters and not treat this result lightly.
“There are a lot of people in this state who are hurting and while we didn’t win, I’m convinced those are people whose voices need to be heard. I hope our state leaders take this result to heart. Business, as usual, can’t remain in place.
“It’s also clear that millions of Californians know that our special interest fueled system isn’t working - and substantial change is needed.
“When the sun comes up tomorrow - and it always does in California, we will greet it with hope, and with optimism because, if we continue to believe we can make a difference, there really can be a shining city on a hill.”
- John Cox Concedes California Governor Election to Gavin Newsom
- Gavin Newsom Sworn in as California Governor
- Governor elect Gavin Newsom visits Camp Fire devastation
- Gavin Newsom files paperwork for CA Governor run
- Republican John Cox Campaigned In Chico
- Brown Backs Fellow Democrat Newsom for California Governor
- What Will be 'New' With Governor Newsom?
- Governor Newsom releases revised state budget
- Governor Newsom requests Presidential Emergency Declaration
- Governor Newsom visits Paradise Ridge Elementary